Streaky Bacon Wrapped Parsnips, with roasted leg of turkey & cranberry sauce
Couldn’t help but notice, within Site Stats, that there were several searches for this recipe recently. Even though this is effectively embedded within a post on Roasted turkey drumsticks. So, thought I’d post it separately. Especially as it’s so popular here in the UK as a side with a Sunday roast. It’s always served on Christmas day – almost obligatory, in fact. And, any excuse to update photos for one of my simplest recipes, as in roasted turkey legs (really must try slicing the meat tomorrow so it doesn’t look, on the plate, like it’s the lunch of a caveman!). It’s also getting cold here so perfect timing to start roasting more rather than just using my hob/stove top. Certainly as I was walking past the beach on my way food shopping earlier I was glad I was wearing 5 layers. And gloves, hat and scarf. Those North Eeasterly winds are a shocker! Must be getting cold in Northern Europe. *shivers*
Streaky bacon wrapped parsnips, with roasted leg of turkey & cranberry sauce
- 2 x medium/small parsnips per person, peeled and trimmed
- 1 x pack streaky bacon
- seasoning, preferably only black pepper
- olive oil
- Parboil the parsnips by placing in cold water, enough to cover. Put on electric heat No 4 (out of 6) and bring to near boiling point. Reduce heat to No 2 and simmer for 3 – 5 minutes, depending on the size of the parsnips. Drain into a metal colander, rinse in cold water and shake dry. If the pan is still hot add a knob of butter and allow it to melt. Put the dry parsnips in and try to get them evenly coated with the butter. Add some seasoning, although I don’t add salt as the bacon can be salty.
- Preheat oven to 200°C, 400°F or Gas No 6.
- On a very clean surface start to wrap them by letting the bacon rashers hang over them to allow them to stretch slightly. Then, hold one rasher in place with your thumb and wrap on a diagonal as tightly as possible. I leave the ends free as they go nice and crunchy. Add them to a slightly oiled suitable roaster, place on the second shelf up if using electric and roast for 20 – 30 minutes. Times will vary, especially if other food items are being roasted at the same time.
All photographs within (Todas las fotografías dentro de) FTP:
All rights reserved (© Todos los derechos reservados) – Copyright © Johnny Hepburn