This Smoked Salmon Salad couldn’t be easier. A couple of weeks ago I’d been up early and in town, then went food shopping for lunch. That store was heaving and I really wanted out of there. Then, I spotted they’re now selling small packs of smoked salmon. At last! And at an affordable price. As I’d also noticed a really nice crunchy salad to go I grabbed both, paid and hoofed it out of there as quickly as I could. That salad, with added ingredients, turned out to be an absolute treat. With virtually no cooking involved. I’ve had loads of differing ways of serving smoked salmon, including the Basque way of serving it with mashed eggs in home-made mayo with capers on top. That’s great, btw. I keep coming back to the very typical British way of serving this on toasted brown bread, dry in my case, lots of fresh lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper. And that has to be my all-time favourite.
Smoked Salmon Salad
- 1 x 100g (3.52 oz) pack smoked salmon
- 1 x 190g (6.70 oz) pack salad, mine contained red and white cabbage with iceberg and frisee
- 2 x medium free range (cage free) eggs, hard-boiled
- 1 x lemon, rolled under palms before extracting juice
- 8 x pitted black olives
- capers, to personal taste
- flaked almonds, to personal taste
- pumpkin seeds, to personal taste
- 1 x teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 x Jonagold apple, halved, cored, peeled and added to lemon juice
- sunflower oil and balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- toasted brown bread of choice
Measurements within brackets above are approximate only.
For the eggs and vinaigrette:
- Put two eggs in a saucepan with plenty of cold water to cover on electric heat No 4 (out of 6). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to No 2 and simmer for 4 – 5 minutes. My way of checking that they’re cooked is by lifting one out on a dessert spoon and as the steam evaporates quickly I know the egg is ready. Get the pan into the sink, carefully drain, leave under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Peel.
- I do my vinaigrette with a ratio of 3:1 of oil and vinegar. That simple!
All photographs within (Todas las fotografías dentro de) Feed the Piglet:
All rights reserved (© Todos los derechos reservados) – Copyright © Johnny H Hepburn