Black Pepper Cream Cheese Salad Dressing, with chilli and garlic
This is why I bought a tub of black pepper cream cheese in the first place, to go with a salad I was making to go with chickpeas and za’atar. The latter hasn’t quite worked out for me – yet! Which is no reflection on Food Daydreaming’s post, I hasten to add. I just can’t get the texture of the chickpeas to work for me (next attempt I’ll roast them). Hmm, does that make me sound fussy? Huh, if it does – cualquiera, cariños! And this is a first for me on here, as in a salad dressing. It’s a bit of a shame that I never seem to bother with proper dressings as such, merely relying heavily on vinaigrettes and herbs to flavour salads. Well, this dressing happened partly as I can’t buy organic eggs right now as the only local store that sells them ran out last week and still don’t have them in stock. As I couldn’t go with a version of my home-made mayo (using a poached egg) I decided to go on the hunt for a suitable cream cheese (something I haven’t bought in ages) or an ingredient that would lend itself to a creamy dressing. Little did I realise that this particular cream cheese is now on sale. And it’s 50% reduced fat!
Not that I would buy the product again as it would be as easy to grab a small tub of plain cream cheese and add freshly ground black pepper to it instead. This time around there were no small tubs of plain left. And talking of none left – my patience has worn out. Can’t deal with uploading to WP anymore. I’ve been wasting so much time recently trying to do just that that I need to stop faffing around and spend more time on developing recipes I’m supposed to be doing. So! If things go to plan the next couple of posts will be password protected. And beyond that there’ll be one public post per week – if that.
On a happier note my most viewed photo on Flickr has been trounced at last! Okay, only by one view. Still, it’s taken two years for that to happen. So, that’s at end of post. So, too, is one of my favourite shots, regardless of how odd it may be. It was so cold in Brno, Czech that I had to balance my camera on a pack of cigarettes - borrowed from someone else, of course not! I just happen to like the theatricality of the photo :)
Within the photo directly above a tablespoon of black pepper cream cheese was added one at a time, the salad dressing was well whisked and tasted before adding more cream cheese. Three tablespoons were used in total.
Black Pepper Cream Cheese Salad Dressing
- 3 x tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 x tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- ½ x lime, juiced through a sieve
- 3 x tablespoons black pepper (50% reduced fat) cream cheese
- ¾ x small green finger chilli (Scoville heat rating: 50,000), washed and thinly sliced – I used about 15 thin slices
- ½ x large garlic clove, peeled and crushed (any pulp left in garlic crusher was discarded)
- 4 x grinds fine sea salt, more to personal taste
- Combine the first three ingredients, excepting the cream cheese, in a suitable bowl. Gradually add as much or as little black pepper cream cheese as needed. Pretty much the same with the finger chilli and garlic. Add, taste and add more to personal taste. Exactly the same with any seasoning.
All photographs within (Todas las fotografías dentro de) Kitschnflavours:
All rights reserved (© Todos los derechos reservados) – Copyright © Johnny Hepburn