with a spicy grapefruit dressing, and served with Puy lentils and smoked mackerel
This post is essentially a dressing rather than a salad recipe as salads can be a little bit of a mix and match, whatever’s in the fridge, affair. Or at least some of mine can be. And the dressing itself is based on my fairly recent post on pineapple salsa. This dressing won’t be to everyone’s taste as it’s unapologetically spicy, slightly sweet, sour and citrus-y all at the same time. I’m impressed! And that’s highly unusual. In most cases, where salad dressing is concerned, I’ll scatter over some herbs, mix a vinaigrette and hope for the best. This is neither one of those salads nor dressing. Ah, wait a tick. Are you seriously adding beetroot to a salad?? Sort of. I’m still not sure. It’s edible, but I keep wanting to sub with something else. It’s not my favourite. And even when it’s pickled I’m at odds with it. Especially since the food industry here in the UK are pickling with spirit vinegar, which can be produced synthetically for domestic commercial cleaning purposes. It’s horrid. Even more so than the beets themselves. Can’t buy pickled anymore. The last jar I’d bought I could’ve sworn they were off – nope! Not even. Just pickled with one of the nastiest aftertastes I’ve ever come across. I won’t even mention what it’s like as that would involve the suggestion of eating certain items of unsavoury clothing found in a male locker room. Let’s not! Phew, I think you get the gist. Ahem, apple
and beetroot salad it is, then.
In the meantime, the idea of combining lentils with smoked mackerel was inspired by Darya’s tasteful post – more on that next time. And I just might pickle. Those organic beets that are lurking in my fridge just might be in for a nice jar of Chef Mimi’s home-made ‘pickling water‘ – let’s hope so as otherwise they’re going to be chucked out :)
- ½ x lemon, juice poured through a sieve
- ¹/3 x grapefruit, juice poured through a sieve
- ¼ x teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 1 x small garlic clove, peeled and chopped into small dice
- 1 x small green finger chilli (Scoville rating: 50,000), washed and sliced thinly, including seeds
- ¼ x teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 x tablespoon clear honey
- about 6 x grinds freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x Jonagold apple (or favourite eating apple), halved, peeled (if not organic), cored, sliced and cut crossways into small chunks – add to the lemon juice (added to a suitable bowl)
- 1 or more x organic cooked beetroot (peeled), sliced and cut into small dice
For the salad:
- romaine lettuce leaves
- ripe Hass avocado, halved, stone removed, avocado roughly chopped
- handful organic pumpkin seeds
- black olives, sliced into quarters
- Pour both the lemon and grapefruit juice through a fine sieve into a non reactive bowl (porcelain or glass) and discard any pith or pips. Add the zest, diced garlic, sliced chilli, dried marjoram and honey and combine. Grate over the black pepper and add the apples and beetroot when both have been prepared. The dressing will turn a lovely pink colour – which is about all the beets are good for!
- Serve with avocado, salad leaves, seeds, nuts and olives of personal choice.
All photographs within Feed the piglet (Todas las fotografías dentro de):
All rights reserved – Copyright © johnnysenough hepburn (© Todos los derechos reservados)